Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Arnaud D. - 4 : Goran S. - 0



Arnaud Desplechin's "Un Conte de Noël", starring Catherine Deneuve, Mathieu Amalric and my beloved Emmanuelle Devos has just been officially selected to compete in this year's Cannes Film Festival. It will be up against the latest from Atom Egoyan, Wim Wenders, Charlie Kaufman (directing!) and the Dardennes. Screening out of competition will be a new film by my former compatriot Emir Kusturica as well as Woody Allen's much-hyped "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". The full line-up is here.

One film that didn't make it into the official competition was my own (not quite latest) "Picture of a Good Woman". Earlier this year, it was one of two Australian short films preselected for the main competition by the Cannes film festival scout. I'm not sure what this meant exactly, but I was reassured it was a big deal. So that was certainly exciting. Sadly - though not surprisingly, considering the odds - it didn't make it into the final shortlist.

Anyhow - with my film out of the way, all of my energy will be going into barracking for an Arnaud Desplechin win. He's been up for the Palme d'or three times before: for his soon-to-be-screened-in-Melbourne debut La Sentinelle (1992), for the fresh and intoxicating "My Sex Life... Or How I Got Into an Argument" (1996), and for the very pretty if somewhat stunted "Esther Kahn" (2000). His masterpiece, Kings and Queen (2004), was never in contention for some reason.

Based purely on the cast and synopsis, I already adore "Un Conte de Noël" (2008). Even though it features neither Daniel Auteuil or Audrey Tautou, I sincerely hope I'll be able to see it on an Australian screen some time in the next five years.

1 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Blogger Kamikaze Camel said...

That line about Daniel Autiel and Audrey Tautou is pure genius.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home