Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dance of the Vampires (Roman Polanski, 1967)

****
USA/UK



Or 'The Fearless Vampire Killers'. Or 'Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck'. It's hard to tell what possessed Polanski (between directing two notably sophisticated psychological horrors) to embark upon this bizarre spoof on Hammer Studios vampire lore, in which he himself plays the dim-witted apprentice to a bumbling professor. It's rough and shaggy, but also warm and moody. Though several of the gags fall flat, it's the rich textures and inspired bits of lunacy that you remember, as well as the playful way it has of making you jump.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Blogger Yve said...

I adore this film! I saw it on tv when I was a kid and it really stuck in my head, I watch it quite regularly on an old worn out VHS tape. The sets and the whole production are absolutely beautiful and it's incredibly atmospheric.

The final ball scene where only the humans reflect in the mirror was ripped off by the appalling "Van Helsing" a few years back.

I know lots of people only get to see the hacked short US version with a dorky cartoon intro, but look out for the original, it's worth the effort to track it down :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home