Thursday, August 23, 2007

My Top 100 Countdown - Part II

Stills from my 50 favourite movies will start popping up shortly, coinciding with the publishing of the first credible shortlist of great [foreign] films in many many years.

To be honest though, my Top 100 list became outdated and technically irrelevant halfway through last month's Melbourne Film Festival. To be even more honest, my list became irrelevant the moment I announced Lindsay Anderson's [still perfectly masterful/brilliant/wonderful] If... (1968) as my 100th favourite film as opposed to Reed's Odd Man Out (1947), Von Stroheim's Foolish Wives (1922), Marker's La Jetée (1962), Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood (1962) etc. etc. And now that I've realised The Godfather ranks higher than Ikiru and Jules and Jim, I just can't accept it.

Really though, all these rankings are interchangable to a certain point. And I don't truly prefer these 100 movies over all others - the vast majority for sure, but not all. This isn't a list of the best 100 movies, or even my favourite 100 - but really a list of 100 movies I worship in a very special way and will continue to worship for a very long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home