Sunday, August 12, 2007

MIFF has ended on a high note (for me)

With a special screening of Ingmar Bergman's jaw-dropping The Silence. (And the end of MIFF also means I finally get the chance to program an Ingmar Bergman retrospective in my very own lounge room.)

Today I also caught:

Jellyfish (Shira Geffen, Etgar Keret, 2007)
**½


The Mourning Forest (Naomi Kawase, 2007)
**½

After the Wedding (Susanne Bier, 2006)
***½


Paprika (Satoshi Kon, 2006)
***½

Comments to follow (tomorrow, most likely).

Overall, it's been an impressive year - a vast improvement on the previous, generally paltry one. I sat through 61 sessions in total (missed my personal record by 4). I wish I didn't go against my better judgment and sit through so many ponderous mood pieces by well-regarded directors who should know better. But the moody abortions were a minority, and fortunately obliterated in my memory by the particularly great works of Shohei Imamura, tonight's Bergman classic, a pile of contemporary Asian gems, a solid amount of European ones, and - above all - that Romanian abortion drama. To counterpoint MIFF withdrawal symptoms, I'll draft up my Top 10 MIFF-list tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home